Over Christmas break I got to enjoy being cooked for every night by my talented mommy. She made a delicious sweet potato soup for us which inspired me to try my hand at making my own. I don’t like to fuss a bunch over food so my number one requirement is that it has to be quick and easy. This easy sweet potato soup recipe is sure to please and only takes about 20 minutes to make!
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 large or two small (1 1/2 cups approximately) cooked sweet potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup half and half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Top with thyme
- Using a knife or fork, heavily score (stab) your potato all over to aid in cooking. I cooked the sweet potato (a huge one) in the microwave using my "potato" cooking button and set it at "2 potatoes". (If you don't have a handy "potato" button on your microwave, try cooking it for about 8-10 minutes and add time as necessary.)
- Next, cut the potato in half and scoop out the cooked potato with a large spoon. Place the cooked potato in a mixer (Cuisinart, blender, hand mixer, Magic Bullet, will work---or if you have a hand mixer you can mash them right in the pot) with a tiny bit of water until completely smooth.
- Place the tablespoon of flour and butter in a saucepan and whisk together over medium-low heat continuously until the roux achieves a light caramel color.
- Now add the broth and brown sugar, bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer.
- Stir in the mashed sweet potatoes and spices, bring to a simmer again, and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the half and half and reheat soup. Season with salt and pepper, top with fresh or dried thyme and serve. This made two large servings for us. (Recipe adapted from: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cooking-live/sweet-potato-soup-recipe/index.html)
Serve with a side salad and crusty bread for a yummy lunch or light dinner .