I have never been all that good with directions and have frequently confused my right from my left. But when it comes to Christians and politics, I have made it my business to try and get the two sides straight. I grew up in a family with a strong Right dominance. I attended a college that presented the Right but leaned Left, and I was (and still am) surrounded by a group of friends who strongly associate themselves with the Left. Where do I stand you ask? It all depends.
- Abortion-belief in the right to life of the unborn; life begins at conception.
- Homosexuality-belief that it is a sin and that marriage should only be defined as man and woman.
- Education: Rights of Christians in schools-prayer, Intelligent Design, and no curriculum emphasizing homosexuality.
- Patriotism-belief in God & country, love of faith & Founding Fathers, belief in just war, right to 2nd amendment.
Christian Left: SOCIAL JUSTICE
- Homelessness/poverty-belief in the right of all living beings to have basic needs met and belief that poor should be taken care of by government as well as church.
- Civil Rights-belief in equality for all men and separation of church and state.
- Education/Health Care-belief that all people have an equal right to good education and good health.
- Environment-belief that we are all responsible for taking care of the planet.
BELIEF ABOUT U.S.A.
THE FEARS OF EACH OTHER
- Moral relativism and loss of absolutes.
- Pluralism (many ways to God) and perhaps universalism (many ways through Christ).
- Wrath of God on Nation.
- Left’s doctrinal laxity and misguided thinking.
- For Left’s salvation .
Christian Left Fears
- Christ will be associated with judgment/condemnation.
- Being perceived as unloving or disrespectful by non-Christians.
- Wrath of God on Christians.
- Right’s dogmatism.
- Being associated with anything having to do with the Right.