- I have had a love affair with the sun, surf, and sand my entire life. I adore the beach and being warmed in the sun! The beach is part of my family life and without a doubt my favorite memories have taken place in a bathing suit on a beach.
- I am also very fair and have been seriously sunburned since birth (with lobster red skin, blisters, and peeling) more times than I can count on all fingers and toes. Seriously, from birth until my 20’s (when I finally started wearing sunscreen) I received innumerable BAD sunburns.
- My body is littered with a trillion freckles, moles, and sunspots.
- I had two basal cell carcinomas (slow spreading type of skin cancer) removed in my early 20’s.
- My dad died from skin cancer a year ago. He was a family physician in perfect health before his diagnosis and died 2 years after being diagnosed (which was a miraculously long time to live with malignant melanoma).
- My likelihood of developing malignant melanoma in the future seems very, very likely.
Skin cancer is no joke. It has affected my family in ways we’d never imagined possible. It robbed me of my daddy and my children of their grandpa. So today’s fashion and beauty tip comes from a serious place.
Admittedly, I am vain. I like to look cute. I like the way my skin looks with a tan. I like the fact that when I’m tan my fat looks less dimply, my eyes bluer, and my teeth and hair whiter. But I obviously love my life and my children and want to be around in this world for as long as possible. Sunless tanners are my obvious solution! Here are my favs:
1. Mystic Tan By far, my all-time favorite kind of fake tan is a Mystic tan. I get mine done at Hollywood Tans. The process is private, quick, less smelly, and gives the best results. It’s also the most expensive of course. I bought a package of 5 tans with some Christmas money which brought the cost down to about $17 a tan. You can opt for a bronzer, a fragrance, darker shades, etc. My advice is to skip the extras and to go as light as possible for your skin type. People tend to look like an oompa loompa when they go darker than they should.
2. Victoria’s Secret Beach Sexy Line I first tried this line when it came out last year and it remains my all-time favorite. It’s the least smelly which I love! My body chemistry reacts very strongly to sunless tanners and I end up smelling like cat pee. The Beach Sexy line works great, gives even realistic coverage, and smells less cat-peeish :).
3. L’Oreal Sunless Sublime Glow The con on this one for me is the smell. It is smellier on me than some of the others. The pro is that it’s cheaper, offers several different realistic shades, and looks great on your legs. I wouldn’t use this one on my face though because it makes you look too shiny.
4. Clarins Self-Tanning Instant Gel Okay, I haven’t actually tried this one because it’s pretty pricey. But it has received rave reviews so I’m including it in the mix. I’ve heard that it absorbs very quickly, offers great color, can be used beautifully on your face without the fear of breakouts, and is one of the best on the market. Have you tried this one? If so, tell us in your comments what you think.
5. Jergen’s Natural Glow I have to say that I cannot wear Jergens because of the cat pee smell factor. Again, I’m weird. My body chemistry reacts STRONGLY to all sunless tanners and that reaction apparently comes with a smell. A very bad one. That being said, this remains a favorite of most women so it was worthy of a mention. I think the best part about Jergens is that it’s gradual. I know, I know we want to look instantaneously tan, but that’s where everyone runs into trouble.
The more gradual the tan, the more natural looking it will be and the less you’ll have to worry about looking like this!
Yeah. I think you want to avoid oompa loompaness at all costs! Looking orange is not in the spirit of going forth and being cute!
Maybe if you’re really adventurous you could look like this?
So how about you? Any self tanners you have been happy with? Any we should add to the list? Talk to me!