Wondering what to do while stuck at home? Make the best use of your situation! Here are some great apps and resources to get you through!
Hi everyone! I hope that this post finds you and your family well and in good spirits. I have rounded up some GREAT apps and resources to help you get through this unique time in our history. Now is a good time to take a look at your devices and clear out apps that you no longer use to make room for some new ones! Please check out the following list and message me any you would like to add. Thank you for helping me keep this list up to date and relevant!
This post will be divided into the following categories for easier viewing:
Find amazing apps for wellness! Stress is an enormous contributing factor to crankiness, sleeplessness, and sickness. Try to curb spiraling negative thoughts by focusing that energy in a more positive direction. These apps might help:
1. CALM APP: This app is great for meditation, relaxation, and general well-being.
2.SLEEP CYCLE APP: Sleep, track, and wake up easier! This app monitors your sleep, helps you get to sleep faster, and will also give you tips like how much you snore.
3. ABIDE – CHRISTIAN MEDITATION: This app will let you focus on specific topics that interest you. You can also hear stories based off of the Bible that might allow you to stress less.
4. 9GAG: This app will make you laugh! If you need more humor in your life, this app will certainly help you in that area! (This app is rated 17+ – most of their content is Pg-13 and below, however, there is some content not suitable for children.)
5. LET’S LAUGH LAUGHTER EXERCISES: This app can help give your mind a break and tune it in to laughter as a form of yoga exercise.
If you have a library card with your local library, they are your best source of information for free books! Check with their website before you make any unnecessary purchases. Your library has specific apps that they can direct you to that are part of your library membership. There are LOTS of apps associated with libraries, so be sure to check! If you currently do not have a library card, check out these apps:
1. AUDIBLE: This app ties into your Amazon account. You can find almost any book for sale that has an audio version available on Audible.
2. APPLE BOOKS (OR iBOOKS): This app lets you build your own library through Apple.
3. KINDLE: This app allows you to read the books you purchase on Amazon. Kindle books are frequently very cheap, and they often go on sale. There are also lots of free e-books on Kindle!
4. GOODREADS: You will find sincere, well-thought out reviews for books on this app. Very helpful if you are making book purchases!
5. SIMPLYE: Download free classic books without a library card from the NY Public Library. (This app will also sync with your library card.)
Let’s have some fun gaming with our phones! Several games can connect you with your friends, and other players! Often times you can find common ground with friends that you never expected would share the same interests as you. Who knew your second cousin was so good at Words With Friends, or that your neighbor Bob has collected Pokemon for years? 🙂 There are tons of games available as we all know, but for this particular list, I wanted to focus on fun and easy games that can entertain with a lighthearted vibe. I’d love to hear your favorite games!
1. WORDS WITH FRIENDS: This is a word building game that you can play with your friends! Many of you might have played this game several years ago when it was first created, and have perhaps stopped playing. Pick it back up!
2. DRAW IT: This fun sketching app will occupy your time while being creative!
3. TETRIS:A classic game right on your phone! Can you beat the timer?
4. MARIO KART TOUR: Everyone loves racing with Mario!
5. BATTLESHIP: Introduce your kids to Battleship if you do not already own the board game. Such a fun and classic strategy game.
6. PIGMENT: Color on your phone! This app is perfect when you’re tired of scrolling your social media apps.
These apps were chosen specifically for their uniqueness and ratings. These apps do more than just educate, they teach you and your child HOW to train your mind to learn new things!
1. NIGHT SKY: Go outside at night and map the stars and planets!
2. SPELL TOWER: Building words while learning strategy is the name of this game. So fun!
3. STACK THE STATES: This cute game will help you learn geography in an entertaining way. It’s okay to have fun learning!
4. MONSTER PHYSICS: This unique learning game will teach physics on an elementary level. Perfect for all ages!
1. VIRTUAL FIELD TRIPS: This helpful Google Doc contains links to over 30 virtual field trips including farms, zoos, national parks, and wonders of the world.
2. 25+ BEST PODCASTS FOR KIDS: Great resource of Podcasts recommended by teachers for kids in elementary, middle, and high school.
3. Rosetta Stone: Language program offering 3 months free to students. Parents need to set up an account for minors.
Travel is not the best word right now with most of the world practicing social distancing. Travel plans have been canceled, some cities are shut down, and even some beaches are closed. We have you covered with these virtual tours and webcams!
1. GOOGLE EARTH: You can go all over the world with Google Earth!
2. GOOGLE ARTS AND CULTURE: Visit museums, see amazing artwork, and run around with dinosaurs!
3. NATIONAL PARK TOURS: Travel to amazing parks and watch Old Faithful erupt!
4. BEACH CAMS: Take a trip to Fiji, Hawaii, and lots of other islands and remote locations!
5. SMITHSONIAN NATIONAL ZOO: Webcams for pandas, lions, elephants, and so many more animals!
6. CINCINNATI ZOO: You can see Fiona the Hippo Live everyday!
HEALTH AND EXERCISE:
Going to an in-person gym is not an option for most of us right now, but you can still get your workouts in at home! Here are a few apps and resources to help.
1. Down Dog: This is fantastic app and all classes on it are currently free until April 1! They offer Yoga, HIIT, Barre, and 7 Minute workouts on their app.
2. MYFITNESSPAL: This app links to many other apps and is a great central hub to organize your daily fitness/heath apps. Very helpful!
3. MAP MY WALK: If you’re able to walk around the neighborhood, give this app a try! It will show you exactly where you’ve walked and how far.
4. ZOGA WAKE UP: A great start to the day!
5. SEVEN MINUTE WORKOUT: If you have seven minutes, you have time for this app!
This article gives 25+ Free LiveStream Workout Resources and there are so many more available!
Note: Many online exercise streaming sites are offering 14-30 days free as a trial period before needing to pay. Google your favorites like Orange Theory, Beach Body, etc. to see.
1. E-MEALS: This app is great for planning healthy meals. Lots of information provided!
2. SIDECHEF: This app allows you to search by ingredients that you have on hand. Very helpful when you don’t want to shop for new ingredients.
3. TASTY: Tasty has the best videos for cooking inspiration!
4. YUMMLY: This app will help you increase your kitchen skills!
DIY AND CREATIVE:
1. COLOR SNAP: Design a room from home! Perfect!
2. THE FAMILY HANDYMAN: Learn how to fix basically anything!
3. WIKIHOW: This app is genius. Lots of different categories and you can browse through them. Scroll this instead of the news!
Lunch Doodles with Mo Williams: Mo Willems is a beloved author and illustrator and is offering free videos on YouTube teaching us all how to doodle.
Draw it Too: My 13 year old son is an amazing artist. He attributes this YouTube channel to helping him hone his skills. This site is best suited for the tween to early teen.
Craftberry Bush Watercolor Tutorials: Lucy is a talented blog friend who is teaching a beginner’s Watercolor series on her art Instagram account. Click on the bubbles under her profile picture that say Lesson 1, Lesson 2, etc. to see her Instagram Story lessons.
I hope this list proves helpful! It’s in no way an exhaustive resource but should help get you started. Stay safe, healthy, and active friends! Feel free to pin this image below to save for future reference.