It’s time for part 3 in our How to Decorate Together series! If you missed part 1, be sure to click here to read How to Overcome Decorating Differences. You will also enjoy part 2, Tips on Communicating with Your Spouse on Decorating Differences.
Couples frequently disagree on how to decorate the home. Perhaps your spouse leans towards a modern aesthetic and instead you love a rustic farmhouse look. Maybe you are wedded to an inherited piece of Queen Anne furniture that you are trying to incorporate with your spouse’s contemporary decor. When couples have contrasting decorating styles, it can cause interpersonal conflict and turmoil. However, it doesn’t have to! Blending two styles into one is both doable and rewarding. Here are three tips showing how to blend masculine and feminine decorating styles.
Tip 1: Simplify your color palette.
Image via BHG.
When merging masculine and feminine decor styles, it’s easier to create a unified look with a simplified color palette. Choose two main colors for your space and then try layering various shades within those colors into your room. Fewer colors will instantly establish a sense of order to your decor even if the objects in the room are an eclectic mix. Think outside the box when it comes to creating a uniform color palette. You can paint practically anything these days–including upholstered furniture–and what you can’t paint can usually be slipcovered! Don’t be scared to try and make what you own, and what you both love, work for you.
Tip 2: Try neutrals with lots of different textures.
Image via City Farmhouse.
If your husband has a truly horrible sense of style that you just cannot work with, try and turn him onto a neutral color palette. A furry neutral toss pillow is often much more easily accepted by the male species than a furry pink toss pillow. Just sayin’. Take a look at the pictures above and below and notice how rich, comfortable, and cozy each space looks. Although these living rooms are both done in neutrals, they are an excellent mix of masculine and feminine elements. Choose warm woods, cozy throws, seagrass baskets, leathers, and a mix of neutral patterned textiles to create a space that melds the two decor styles seamlessly.
Image via Design Manifest.
Tip 3: Follow the 80/20 rule.
In interior design, the 80/20 rule states that as long as 80% of your furnishings are unified then you can get away with deviating with the other 20%. For example, the only things that aren’t in a traditional farmhouse motif in the picture below are the mid-mod chairs, mirror chargers, and artwork. The rest of the room is unified in “traditional farmhouse” decor. This is a great rule to follow when trying to incorporate two different styles. So who gets the 80% and who gets the 20%? Well, the wife of course gets the 80%! Duh. Ha! Really it will depend on the mix of furnishings already within your home and what you are willing to purchase and what you are willing to part with.
If you liked this post, be sure to check out the related posts below.