I am so excited to share with you the dresser makeover I did for my boys’ bedroom! I am currently in the process of making over their entire room and their old furniture desperately needed an update. We inherited this furniture set from Matt’s grandparents and I just love it. I’ll show you the chest on chest makeover soon, but it’s not quite “show ready” yet. The mirrored dresser, however, is ready for some serious paparazzi! And paparazzi is what it received. I went a bit overboard with pics on this one so please bear with me!
The first thing I did to prep the dresser was to clean it. This baby was dir-TAY! Eek! So gross.
I sprayed it down with TSP and scrubbed it with a rag. It still seemed in need of cleaning after the TSP treatment, so I used CitraSolv to try and rub off 100 years worth of wax, Pledge, grime, and whoknowswhat.
Once the dresser looked sufficiently clean, I painted it using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Pure White. What happened next was soooooo incredibly frustrating, so listen up if you’re going to use chalk paint on mahogany. The finish from my furniture kept bleeding through the paint. No amount of paint hid the bleed through and it looked horrible. Can you see all of the pink below? Not quite? Let me zoom in for you.
Okay, here is a close-up of what I was dealing with. My entire dresser looked like it had some horrible pink fungus problem. Blech. Several Google searches later, I learned that on mahogany furniture you need to first seal the furniture with Shellac. Gah!
I ran to Lowes, purchased my Shellac, covered the entire dresser with two coats of Shellac, and then painted….again. This was not the blissful chalk paint experience I’ve had in the past, but it was a valuable lesson learned.
After everything was dry (and not bleeding pink), I covered the dresser in a coat of clear wax.
The wood was so beautiful on the drawers I didn’t dare paint them! I gave the drawers a few coats of Shellac and replaced the old hardware with these awesome catalog pulls. The pulls came from VanDykes. I paid a little over $2 a pull. Watch the prices because they seem to jump drastically from week to week on various pulls. The pulls I really wanted were $8 each, but this week they are priced at only $2.29. Huh? Ah well, these worked out great. I used black Rub n’ buff to tone down the brass. I’ll do a separate tutorial on the pulls for you soon.
I had fun styling the top of the dresser with some vintage books and thrift store owl bookends that I spray painted heirloom white and brushed with brown glaze.
The elephant was a rubber toy headed for Goodwill. I decided to rescue it and spray paint it white. I LOVE how it turned out! We have a new “porcelain” rubber elephant :). If you’ve never seen those butterflies in a jar before go to your nearest toy store and buy one. They are seriously cool! I bought one for Asher’s birthday, but if I’m honest I really just bought it for myself :). You tap on the top of the jar and the butterfly flutters around just like a real butterfly. It is brilliant!
And a few more vanity shots of the dresser for you before I sign off:
Okay, one last reminder of how far this dresser has come! Below is the before.
And here is the much-improved-pinnable after!
I’ll share with you the other dresser soon along with a full tutorial on the hardware!