You don’t have to speak geek in order to mess with your own blog. You don’t have to use a pre-made template, and most everything you could ever want to know is simply a google search away! Don’t be scared to mess with your design, margins, layout, sidebars, background, header, and favicon. It is easier than you think.
So today I am going to teach you how to make your own favicon. There are several ways to do this, but I am going to show you the easiest!
1. Click on the link favicon.ico. This site allows you to draw or upload a photo to use as your favicon.
6. Go to your blog’s Dashboard and click on Design, and then click on the small tab that says “Edit HTML”.
7. Now click on “Expand HTML”. You are now headed into the bowels of your blog. Ew, that’s gross. Try again… You are lifting the hood on your blog and you will have no fear! You can see below that I have “checked” the Expand Widget Templates box on the right and I’m ready to enter my code!
8. Scroll down until you see the word “Footer” and then start looking for b:skin and head . Enter that copied code after the word head. (For some reason my first “head” is missing here but it still works.)
9. Now, do NOT hit save!!! Always PREVIEW your work first. If something goofy happened, just hit “Clear Edits” or just close your page out. No harm will have been done unless you saved your changes. So please remember to NOT save until you are sure you did it right! Below you can see that my code was entered correctly and my little red barn star is showing in my preview. If I am pleased, I can then click Save Template and I’m done!
***Edited (again) to add: Some browsers do not support favicons. If you go through all the motions and your little favi isn’t showing up, try using Google Chrome or Safari before giving up!***
There is a tiny learning curve to messing with HTML, and I am a major novice at it. But I have managed to create a decent design on my blog, make columns for my sponsors, generate buttons, and add a favicon all for FREE. I think if you can’t afford a designer right now, it is great to know that you can decorate your blog all by yourself.
p.s. Don’t forget about the Chalkboard Paint Linky Party Tomorrow!!!! I’m so excited to be inspired by your old and new chalkboardy creations!