If you live in an apartment or other small space setting, you might be hesitant to throw a party this holiday season. Don’t be! Sharing a meal with friends, coworkers, neighbors, and family can be done effectively even when you are short on square footage. I’m here to share some tips and tricks for small space entertaining that will allow you to go big on holiday cheer this year.
TIP 1: DECLUTTER YOUR SPACE.
To create more space in your home, be sure to declutter and simplify the space where you plan to entertain. Remove pieces of furniture that won’t be used and stash unnecessary accessories in your bedroom or office. Moving magazine racks, end tables, and even extra counter kitchen appliances out of the way for the party will free up space for your entertaining needs. If you have items that simply must stay in the room, but are potential eye sores, try working with the items instead of against them. For example, many urban dwellers are without outdoor storage and therefore keep their bikes in the entryway. If you don’t have a balcony to stash your bike, try dressing it up for the occasion. Keep a sense of humor and be realistic about what items you are able to shift around and get creative with the items that need to stay put.
TIP 2: MOVE FURNITURE AROUND.
Your furniture will more than likely need to be rearranged to accommodate your entertaining needs. Don’t be afraid to make your living room into a dining room.
- Pull your table up to your couch.
- Move other furniture up against the walls to create more flow-through room for your guests.
- Swap out armed chairs for folding chairs in order to fit more people around a table.
- Place a sofa in the kitchen for guests who want to keep you company or just hang out.
- Use your ottomans, garden stools, or even your patio bistro set for additional seating options.