Hi, I’m Beth and I still exist. It’s been such a long time since I’ve posted that I know a few of you may have forgotten who I am, so this post is meant to remind you. My December “crisis” is now becoming my “new normal”, so hopefully I will begin posting on a more regular basis.
Now, if you are on facebook (and I think most of you are) then chances are extremely good that you have been asked to post 25 random things about yourself. I, myself, have been asked around 25 times, and each time I flat-out refused. I mean, come on. Who really wants to know that you are scared of nursing homes or that you peed your pants in the second grade? Well, surprisingly I found out that I do! I’ve enjoyed learning more about those beautiful idiosyncrasies that make you, you. So…I vowed not to do it on facebook, but I never said anything about my blog. Here goes nothing…and a bunch of nothing is what it mostly is :)!
25 Things About Me
1. I am terrified of spiders—like phobic-panic-attack-kind-of-scared. We recently purchased some maple syrup from a local vendor at a great price. (Have you SEEN how much it costs lately? I think the price for a quart of maple syrup is running close to the price of gold.) Asher was enjoying this rare delicacy on his waffles when he began spitting something out. He handed me what I thought was a dog fur and to my absolute horror was actually a daddy-long-leg. I shrieked, dropped the chewed up spider, threw my arms around Matt and cried. Yes…literally. I do NOT like spiders.
2. I used to dream about doing dog therapy. This was before we got Gandalf. For those of you unfamiliar with the term, I did not want to be a therapist to dogs (although Gandalf could use a good therapist so if you know of one be sure to pass along the name). Dog therapy utilizes dogs within the context of counseling. My horrible dog parenting skills with Gandalf disillusioned my ability to be a good dog handler. Maybe at a different time in life with a different dog!
3. I feel closest to God in Colorado. Perhaps it’s the high altitude :). Actually, it has everything to do with the beauty of His creation and my ability to enjoy it. Can’t wait to go back and hike sometime soon!
4. I love the invention of bath sheets and loathe small towels…especially hotel towels. (Would it break the bank to use a bit of fabric softener and another yard of material?)
5. When I’m bored or distracted, I’m usually decorating something in my mind.
6. I can remember many conversations and events with vivid detail (down to what outfit I was wearing), but I can’t for the life of me (and to the annoyance of my hubby) remember movies that I’ve watched the week before.
7. I “perform” each day with song and dance in the kitchen while making lunches or dinner. Sometimes the kids are amused and sometimes they just stare at me wide-eyed and blinking.
8. I can sing but am typically too insecure to do it outside of the car or the pew (or the kitchen).
9. After my death if I could only be summed up in one word, I would hope it would be “wise”.
10. I put two Splendas and whipped cream in almost any hot drink I make be it chai, hot chocolate, or coffee.
11. I currently weigh 119 lbs which is what I weighed (briefly) 10 yrs ago when I was preparing for my wedding day. I hope to have better luck maintaining it this decade.
12. I love staying home full-time but also daydream about going back to work.
13. Discount stores give me an adrenaline rush.
14. I struggle with social anxiety disorder and have my entire life. When I was a pre-teen I used to make my best friend buy things for me from the store or order things for me from a restaurant. I was too panic-stricken to talk to the stranger. Sorry Melanie! Although I can now do these things with relative ease, I am still anxious and guarded in a crowd.
15. My latest favorite chocolate bar is Lindt Creation 70% Pure Chocolate. It has a mouse filling and is Pure Heaven.
16. I flew off of snow ramp while sledding at age 8 (thanks Kim), was hit in the head and back at age 10 from a sailboat mast, and fell down a flight of stairs while pregnant with Zephan a few years ago. I have always struggled with back problems and receive an (almost) nightly backrub from my husband (thanks Matt!).
17. I love places with good lighting and get annoyed when rooms are not well-lit. (If yours isn’t, I have probably picked out in my mind lamps and recessed lighting for your space!)
18. I am emotionally connected to bodies of water and feel the need to live close to one at all times. They calm me.
19. Wine goes straight to my head, but I am immune to most narcotics including morphine.
20. I went through a birth center with midwives for both of my babies. I had an emergency c-section with Asher and a VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section) with Zeph. Both births were amazing and traumatizing.
21. I love to dance even though I’m not very good at it and lack coordination. In the summer, I rarely miss an episode of “So You Think You Can Dance”, but I never watch “Dancing With the Stars”.
22. I am very competitive, but I hate playing games. (Probably because I only find them fun if I win and unfortunately that doesn’t happen every time!)
23. I’d rather work on most projects by myself and get impatient with others’ different thinking styles. I remember at age four learning the word “cooperative” on Sesame Street and thinking to myself, “I don’t think I like that word very much.” I still don’t!
24. I am not sentimental. I cherish family memories, holiday moments, and pictures of my kiddos, but not kiddo creations. I haven’t saved any “artwork” that they have made yet. I know. Gasp! Shame! Shock!
25. I am currently working on loving God more than breath itself. Everything that I’m experiencing, reading, studying, and meditating on has reminded me of His incredible love for me. I am so flawed, so blessed…and so humbled by grace.
Love & Blessings to all of you who are as wonderfully and beautifully flawed as me!