At the end of 2009, I did a similar post reviewing the trends in Home Blogs. I thought I’d make it an annual thing. Here are the trends I noticed (and some I participated in) this year:
1. Board & Batten I declare that it is a rite of passage for bloggers at this point. You’re not a real blogger until you have used a faux board and batten treatment somewhere in your house! Okay…so that’s a gross overstatement…but this trend is still going strong so look for more of it in 2011.
2. Bookpage and/or Coffee Filter Wreath Can you believe that I didn’t make either one of these this year? Neither can I! But I think I was the only one.
3. French Script Who in the world knows what all those words on our pillows, curtains, and reupholstered seat cushions say? It’s French! And it looks fabulous. Enough said.
4. Blues and Grays The words “lighter and brighter” could be found in approximately 82.7% of all blog posts this year. And many of us achieved that sought after lighter and brighter look by using blue and gray paints and accessories unless of course we instead achieved it by…..
5. White Worship Some blogs this year were fully devoted to nothing more than gorgeous, minimalistic whites. Whitewashed floors, walls, comforters, plates, kitchens, dressers, etc. with earthy textured accessories could be found in abundance this year.
6. White Slipcovers Okay, so really this is just another form of white worship, but the trend seemed so big this year that it demanded it’s own number.
7. Farm Obsession Reclaimed barn wood, galvanized tins & bins, chicken wire baskets, old milk crates, distressed wood, vintage market signs that say fresh berries, eggs, etc. If it looks like old junk from a farm, we were ga-ga over it! I think this will continue into next year.
8. Numbers On pillows, canisters, stairs, mason jars, walls, tags, baskets, younameit…we like things numbered!
9. Starburst Mirrors Not to be outdone by the bookpage wreaths, the make-your-own starburst mirrors were hot this year. I somehow missed out on this trend as well. Think it will still be hot in 2011?
Some of the trends of 2009 were still hot this year, but I wanted to highlight the new ones. (Check my 2009 post for those trends.) So what have I missed? Any 2010 trend that should be added to the list? What do you think will carry over to 2011? What new trends are in store for us? Talk to me!