Hmmmm….meh. I tired of this too after a few months. Those bare-fake-Edison bulbs just weren’t doing anything for me. So today, I decided to cover them in burlap. What’s our niche’s mantra? When in doubt? Burlap to the rescue! Isn’t that it? No? Quatrefoil to the rescue? Vinyl? White slipcovers?
Anyhow, I took down all my nakey cage lights and dressed them today. I avoid sewing at all costs and don’t do patterns either. So to cover the large “shade” which is really just a large wire basket, I wrapped it in burlap and clipped it tight around the edges like so.
Next, I trimmed the excess fabric.
For the center, I traced around the outside of the basket, cut the burlap, and then glue-gunned it all together. Yes, glue-gunned is my latest verb. And OUCH! Burlap is extremely porous and I nearly blistered all fingers making these shades!
I wanted my “basket liners” on the inside of my shades. Here is a close up of the glued edge. It’s not perfect, but you can’t tell thast from a distance. So let’s back up by all means!
And this picture doesn’t do it justice, but the texture of the burlap looks fantastic when lit up.
(For those about to comment that it’s a fire hazard, be sure to buy this stuff and spray your burlap with it.)
I’m really liking the look and loving that with some fabric and creativity you can create “new” lighting for yourself too!