15+ Simple DIY Projects Using 2×4 Lumber
Do you have leftover 2×4 pieces of lumber? Do you love building projects? Well then this post is for you! These projects are built using various lengths of 2×4’s. The best tips when working with 2×4’s is to sand them multiple times and to use a pre-stain conditioner. Yes, it is an extra step, but it is crucial to ensure that your stain adheres evenly. I do have to mention that some of these tutorials are more than 1-2 years old, and the prices will not reflect current prices post-2020 lumber shortage. Lumber prices have varied dramatically in price over the last two years. Be sure to look through the stack of lumber and select the best pieces. If you are paying top dollar for lumber, expect top dollar lumber. Shop around locally and find the best prices! Lumber yards do sell to the public and usually have the best prices and selection. Be sure to check the store hours of lumber yards as they are often closed on the weekends. Click the blue/gray links to be directed to the original source with more pictures and the full tutorial. Happy building! 🙂
1. 2×4 Coffee Table by Ugly Duckling House
Sarah’s coffee table is classy! She gives great tips on how to achieve this look.
2. 2x4Rustic X-Bench by DIY Huntress
Sam created a beautiful bench that would be perfect outdoors or in an entryway.
3. 2×4 Outdoor Couch by Life on Virginia Street
Sarah built a sturdy outdoor couch. Be sure to check the dimensions of your cushions before you begin building just in case you need to tweak this tutorial.
4. 2×4 Outdoor Rope Bench by At Charlotte’s House
Charlotte’s building projects are always gorgeous and useful! Check them out!
5. 2×4 Outdoor Bar Table by The DIY Dreamer
The project was made easier by purchasing a Kreg jig, and I do recommend that purchase if you will be building additional projects. This tool is extremely handy.
6. 2×4 Bar Stools by Sawdust Sisters
These would be perfect outdoors for extra seating!
7. 2×4 Plant Stand by Girl, Just DIY
Toni did a really great job building her plant stand! She includes a full tutorial that is easy to follow.
8. 2×4 Bistro Table by Shabby Creek Cottage
Gina’s bistro table is perfect for small spaces.
9. 2×4 Farmhouse Bench by The Creative Mom
Natalie’s farmhouse bench would be great indoors or outdoors.
10. 2×4 Farmhouse Table by The Purple Hydrangea
Lisa’s farmhouse table would be adorable painted or stained. She includes a full tutorial.
11. 2×4 Bench by Virginia Sweet Pea
This bench would be adorable in a nook, a small patio, or in the yard in your favorite resting spot.
12. 2×4 DIY Blanket Ladder by Homemade Lovely
Shannon’s 2×4 ladder is so cute! She comments that blanket ladders are frequently expensive, and I agree. Build your own! 🙂
13. 2×4 Outdoor Patio Table by Girl, Just DIY
Perfect scrap 2×4 project!
14. 2×4 Corbel Sconce by Shanty2Chic
Learn how to create a corbel to hold various types of sconce lighting.
15. 2×4 Double X Bench by Her Tool Belt
Amy gives plans on how to build this bench, and also on how to achieve this distressed look.
16. 2×4 DIY Bike Rack by The Handyman’s Daughter
Vertically hanging bikes is a great way to free up space in your garage.
Other building projects: